Monday, January 9, 2017

Blog #1: Reader Bio

        As a child, I loved going to the library with my mom and we'd just sit there during story time and listen to the stories every week. I remember always carrying home a stack almost as big as me of small short children books to read. Since then, I had always read whenever I possibly could. Reading became a part of me. There were times where I had to read for a few hours before I went to bed or I couldn't go to bed at all.
        As I got older, I never stopped reading. I was always that kid that carried a stack of books. Wherever I went, I always carried a book with me. Even to the movies or to a concert or out to dinner. I always had a book. I mean, I still do. And I mean a print, hard copy of the book not a kindle or E-book.
        Horror, Thriller, Fantasy, Mystery, Sci-fi are my favorite types of books. I always like to read books that keep me engaged and are suspenseful. Those make me read even more and not want to put the book down. When I read, I feel like I'm watching or playing the story in my head. Sometimes when I take a break I think "Was I reading that or watching a movie?" What I love about reading is you read something new every time. It's not always the same story even in the same genre.
         As a wonderful author, C.S. Lewis once said, "We read to know we are not alone." And I agree. When I read I feel like the characters are right there with me, telling me the story as if any of my real life friends would.
         Somethings you'll never see me read are non fiction and Twilight. Sorry all you Stephanie Myer fans, I will not read them again ever. Harry Potter all the way. Speaking of, I remember, living on the UC campus before they kicked us out, my mom and her friends would take us, kids, to the theater on campus and go see movies. Majority of the time it was the Harry Potter movies. Growing up watching and reading them, I grew a liking to that type of genre. Harry Potter became my entire world and my first official fandom.
        J.K. Rowling created this adventure from her brain while riding in a train and writing the first chapter just on a napkin. I own all the books and have been re-reading them over the years several times. Not just Rowling, but many other authors have given us the opportunity to read very good books. We'd be here all day if I were to list them all.
       Can I marry fictional characters? Can I be a fictional character?

       
<---- James Dashner author of The Maze Runner trilogy has this quote in the movie. And I think it means a lot to readers because, books are never going to stay the same. There are always going to be new authors emerging and those new authors are going to need a chance from readers to accept their work.
        So, yes there is a change, and no you can't do anything about it so you can't deny the fact there will always be a new book lurking in the shadows for one to read and maybe, just maybe one picks up a book and loves it which makes them continue reading, adding one more person into the readers world!

            So to those new people, welcome!

1 comment: